1) Where can you be found outside of the gym? What do you do for a living?
I work for Mercy Housing Northwest, the Northwest chapter of a national nonprofit that builds & manages affordable housing across the country. (Fun Fact: I used to work with Tim Gillette's sister who worked for Mercy Housing in Denver!) I am the Associate Director of Philanthropy and write/manage all the grants for our housing and services across WA state. I got a grant last week for $820,000!!! #makingitrainohhhyeah I also love geeky things, watching movies and cooking, am an avid reader and audiobook/podcast listener (my fave podcast is Yogaland), love spending time with my partner Theresa, and saying hi to cute dogs.
2) How'd you find out about FUELhouse?
I was dabbling in ClassPass and was looking for some strength training to add to my repertoire of random yoga and barre classes all over the city. I signed up and cancelled classes at FUELhouse a few times, but finally came to check it out and was so impressed with the culture, unlike any gym I had seen before.
3) What makes you commit to training even on days you don't feel like it?
I love that good feeling after a great workout and learning new movements. Props to my OG accountability buddy Judy Y who really helped me get in the door consistently. Now I am proud to say the gym is part of my weekly routine.
4) What's your favorite movement/workout:
I love kettlebells, but recently my new fave class has been boxing! Punching things feels good!
5) What's one thing you'd like to accomplish at FUELhouse in the next year or have you already accomplished this goal and if so what is it? How about in your personal life?
I'm excited/terrified about doing the TSC this year but it's happening and I'm glad I've made it to every Wed TSC class so far! I'd love to get the snatch down. Personally, I'd like to successfully nail Crow Pose one day and make it back to Iceland!
6) Tell us a little known fact about yourself.
I got to see Nelson Mandela dance on a stage with children in Zimbabwe, when I visited there in the early 2000s on a World Council of Churches assembly with students in Claremont, CA, where I was pursuing my 2nd religion degree. (Not a practitioner, but love to learn!)
*another random travel fact: when I visited Iceland several years ago in February, I went on a monster truck tour and it got stuck in the snow. People came up to me on that trip and spoke to me in Icelandic. My Thor's Hammer tattoo on my leg pays homage to my Icelandic heritage.
7) What's the most delicious meal you've eaten recently?
Filet Mignon at Seatown Seabar
8) What's your favorite thing about being a FUELhouse athlete?
I never thought I would ever be called an athlete! I love the FUELhouse vibe, the fun, the music (Metallica!!!), and the people are really the best humans ever. I also really love that someone like me who never played any sports or did anything athletic can get stronger and more kickass in a super cool and supportive environment.
9) We also need to know the name of your very first pet, and the name of the street you grew up on! This will be your official stage name from here on out at the HOUSE (just kidding. not kidding)!