CLASS PROGRAMMING: Jan 30- April 8 2017
"I want my boobs to SOAR over the bar!" - Sue
(overheard in the Resolution: Pull-up small group and adopted as a personal mantra by Coach Tess)
As we prepare for the Tactical Strength Challenge, you'll be hearing a lot about deadlifts around the HOUSE! We couldn't be happier its #deadliftseason!
Hello tribe! The chalk dust has finally settled from TSC and we, your coaches, want to say a few things. Spoiler alert: we really, really love you!
With so many questions being asked about the Tactical Strength Challenge coming to the HOUSE on Oct. 31st, we decided to do a workshop for our members and friends that will be led by our good buddy, Jeff Sokol, Sfg II!
TSC WORKSHOP: SUNDAY, OCTOBER 4TH (there is no Seahawks game so no excuses)
Where: FUELHOUSE GYM, 1320 N 35th St, Seattle, 98103
Cost: $45 non-members, FREE for FUEL members
Looking forward to seeing you there!
This is an introductory workshop for those planning to and considering participating in the TSC. On Saturday, We will train the barbell Deadlift, work on Pullup progressions, and review/fine tune the Snatch.
Goal of this Workshop : Get Stronger!
The StrongFirst Tactical Strength Challenge is an event that will truly measure how strong you have become - and how much stronger you CAN become. The challenge consists of three events:
• A three-attempt barbell deadlift
• Pullups for max reps (palms forward, no kipping, neck must touch the bar), or flexed arm hang for time
• Kettlebell snatches for max reps in a 5:00 time period (unlimited hand switches and rest stops)
Each of these events tests for different aspects of strength. The deadlift is unmatched in assessing overall strength. It is a natural movement that we all perform on a frequent basis, whether it’s lifting a heavy load off the ground or picking up a child. Pullups are a measure of upper body strength - perfect for pulling yourself over a tall wall or climbing a rock face. The kettlebell snatch builds endurance, hamstring strength, and upper body conditioning.
The TSC is held twice a year in the spring and the fall. The upcoming FALL challenge will be held on Saturday, October 31, 2015. This is a nationwide event, with numerous gyms across the country hosting, including our very own FUELHOUSE! There are six classes of competition open for all levels of strength:
- Men’s Novice (deadlift, pullup, 20kg snatch test - perfect for first time participants)
- Men’s Open (deadlift, pullup, 24kg snatch test - participants of all ages and sizes)
- Men’s Elite (deadlift, weighted pullup, 32kg snatch test - if you’re ready for the next level!)
- Women’s Novice (deadlift, flexed arm hang for time, 12kg snatch test - first timers)
- Women’s Open (deadlift, bodyweight pullup, 16kg snatch test - women of any age, any size)
- Women’s Elite (deadlift, weighted pullup, 20kg snatch test - ready for the next level!)
Competitors are scored based on their performance in each event, and scores will be posted on the TSC website with other competitors across the country. Each event is scored evenly. The deadlift will favor larger athletes, while lighter competitors are likely to excel at pullups/flexed arm hang. The snatch test evens it all out. It is not required to compete in all three events.
The TSC is a worthy goal for which to train, and is a fantastic measure of your strength. Although there will be many others competing in your class, don’t be intimidated by everyone else’s scores and numbers. Aim for a goal YOU want to achieve. And take advantage of the twice-a-year challenge to keep setting your goals.
For detailed information and rules, and to sign up for the TSC Challenge, please go to www.strongfirst.com/tactical-strength-challenge